Monday 20 July 2015

Jakob Smits "Van Malvern tot Mol"

It's been a long while since my last post,
but a lot sure has happened.

I graduated from the BA illustration course I followed in Farnham.
Then I upped and moved from my hilly English home over to the flat lands of Belgium, crazy, I know right!!

However, It has already proved a fruitful move full of opportunities, the first of which I'm pleased to share with you.

The "M.Art interpreteert Jakob Smits" exhibition. This exhibition in my new local town of Mol centres around a Dutch painter Jakob Smits (1855-1928) who also moved to the area circa 1888.

The exhibition centres around the local celebrity of Smits and his work and life. We, the M.Artists (a new youth art collective I've joined), produced work related to Smits based around what he meant to each of us.

New to the area and new to Smits, I focussed on the way his work made me feel. His use of texture and the low skyline were key elements to me. I used these elements in my work to convey this idea of my moving to a new place and moving from the hills to the flatlands. All the images are paintings of surrounding areas of Mol but by adjusting and tilting the skyline i can create the illusion of a hill incline or a landscape where the sky seems insignificant to the land but also of that similar to Smits where the sky becomes this great vast leviathan above the low flat land.



No comments:

Post a Comment